Candles can create a warm and cozy atmosphere in your home, but what do you do when the wax has burned down to the bottom of the jar, leaving behind a messy residue? Instead of throwing away your favorite candle vessels, you can easily clean them out using a simple and effective method: boiling water. In this quick guide, we'll show you how to clean out a candle vessel using boiling water, so you can reuse them for various purposes like storage, decoration, or as a new + beautiful drinking glass.
Materials you'll need:
- Candle vessel(s)
- A pot or kettle
- Boiling water
- Dish soap
- A sponge or dishcloth
- Towel or paper towels
1. Safety First: Before you begin, make sure your candle vessel is completely cooled down. Hot wax can cause burns, so it's essential to handle it with care.
2. Boil Some Water: Heat some water in a pot or kettle until it's boiling. Make sure you have enough water to fill the candle vessel.
3. Pour Boiling Water: Carefully pour the boiling water into the candle vessel. Be cautious not to overfill it. Leave some space at the top to avoid spilling hot water.
4. Wait for the Magic: Allow the boiling water to sit in the vessel until completely cooled. The hot water will gradually melt and soften any remaining wax at the bottom, eventually making its way to the top, where it will harden.
5. Empty and Clean: After the waiting period, pop out the hardened wax and carefully pour out the water into a sink. Use a sponge or dishcloth to wipe away the wax residue from the inside of the vessel. You may need to repeat this step a few times until the vessel is completely clean.
6. Wash with Dish Soap: Once you've removed the wax, wash the candle vessel with warm, soapy water to eliminate any remaining residue. Rinse thoroughly to ensure there's no soap left behind.
7. Dry: Pat the candle vessel dry with a towel or paper towels. Make sure it's completely dry before using it again or storing it.
8. Reuse or Decorate: Your cleaned candle vessel is now ready for a new life! You can use it for storing small items, creating a decorative centerpiece, or as a cute new drinking glass (we mean, you can eventually work up to a whole new set!)
Cleaning out candle vessels using boiling water is a simple and eco-friendly way to repurpose them, saving both money and the environment. So, the next time your favorite candle burns out, don't toss the jar – give it a second life with this easy cleaning method. Happy candle recycling!